Sunday, November 16, 2008

Rest and Other Things I Learned in The Sticks

Last week I attended a two day conference called "The Sticks" in Loudonville, OH (Officially in The Sticks). I left late on Monday (my day off) and rushed back to lead the men's group on Wednesday night. I was reminded repeatedly through the conference several things but one thing stuck, again. "We cannot be dependent on ourselves and dependent on God at the same time. When we consider the practice of rest unnecessary, we also will inevitably lose sight of the necessity of God."

I justified my involvement the lat 6 weeks in a new life growth group because I wanted to get to know these ladies. I don't regret it, just realize I need to do a better job of protecting my day off.

How are you doing in the rest department? I'm concerned about you - because as much as I run I see some of you running even harder - and the holidays are on top of us which means some of you will run even faster! Why!

What are we modelling to our kids, and our neighbors (who we seek to reach for Christ) when they see us frenetically going from experience to experience, never seeming to be satisfied by the previous?

I pray you will join me in the Advent Conspiracy. We will explain more fully on Sunday, November 30th - but let me prime the pump (so to speak). Before you go crazy with your calendar and your credit cards for this holiday - STOP - see what God wants to do to you, in you and through you this Christmas!

That's all for now - REST - STOP - sounds great to me.

Pastor Jeff

p.s. Prayers welcome for Cindy and I as we go to TN to see our daughter and grandson to help them prepare for their daddy's return from Iraq the following week. More from Nashville and more about The Sticks!


No comments: