Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mother's Day

It's been too long since I wrote and hope to get back on track. Thought I'd use this great occasion to share some things. Facebook has exploded with all of the normal sentiments connected with this day. Post a picture of your mom as your profile picture in honor of having a great mom - etc. I think a better thing to do is to take the essence of what your mother taught you (providing it was godly and healthy) and then live it out. I know I'm taking umbrage with this scripture but "let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your father which is in heaven."

My mom taught me that as a Christian man I would be viewed by some as peculiar - that I may receive some persecution because of my choice to be a follower of Jesus - that I must make choices every day consistent with what I believe. One of the best examples of excellent mothering was making sure I sat my butt in church every week. The rule - until the age of 18 it was my parents choice about whether I went to church or not. I vowed when I was 16 that when that day came, I was all done with church. But my parents were consistent and persistent and their rule put me in a place where God nurtured my rebellious spirit and by age 17 I already felt a call to ministry.

I so wish that parents today would stop trying to keep their kids happy - stop taking the path of least resistance and let their children decide what was important for them. They enroll them in every activity and sport possible and then let them decide about their spiritual future. What's up with that?

Another thing my mother did for me was to help me be independent. I started mowing lawns, shoveling walks, at age 13. Got my first real job as a maintenance guy at the local five and dime when I was 14. I bought my own clothes and paid my way into everything I wanted to do. Had to pay cash for my first car - cover my own insurance - pay for the maintenance and repairs - and if cell phones were around then - I would have had to pay my own way there as well. Thanks Mom (and Dad) for that guidance.

Mom has been gone for several years now. She had kind of checked out after her stroke but there was just something about being able to be around her that soothed me. Wish I still had those times with her - missed her little comments like "if wishes were horses we'd all take a ride", or "cripes on a bicycle" - can't wait to see her in heaven.

God has blessed me with another godly woman that teaches me so much about an active faith walk. We are enjoying our 40th year together as husband and wife. She has done remarkable things in raising our two daughters and now loves her role as "Grammie". Thank you Lord for our moms, may we honor them today by living for You!

No comments: