Thursday, November 15, 2007

Competition

For some that word conjures up excitement and a ready spirit - for others fear. If you were like me and one of the last kids chosen to be on their team, it's the second one.

Ahhh, it's that time of year when my blood runs maize and blue and I can't stand red and white (actually I've been reprimanded, its red and scarlet. Whatever!)

Anyway, this Saturday the yearly rivalry between the Buckeyes and the Wolverines commences in Ann Arbor. We'll celebrate this competition at The Grove on our big screen over some chili dogs and nachos and cheese starting at 11:30am.

But all this talk of competition reminded me of a meager attempt at songwriting that I did years ago. I was part of a Christian rock band called "The Common Bond" and we travelled around the country sharing mostly original tunes. It was at the same time I had started my first church, Detroit Contemporary Christian Center in an old Jaycees Hall that smelled of stale beer and bleach.

Well one day as I was struggling to figure out why church attendance seemed to fluctuate so much, I thought about this word, competition. If my memory serves me right (because I wrote the song on a napkin and who knows where it is now) part of the chorus went, "There may be competition for Sundays, but there's no competition for the Lord, (hold that thought I think I know where my older song folder is)............nope can't find it but wait.........better yet I found an old recording of it now I've got to find a cassette player --hold on.......

OK, it was fun thinking how good it was in my head and then why did I go and listen to it?

Anyway, continuing, "There may be competition for Sundays, but there's no competition for the Lord, there's no need to fear your Mondays, when He's armed you with his shield and sword."

So where am I going with this? Well, this week I'll conclude our series on "Making the Most of Your Life" by talking about our weekends. I'll talk about something that I've found to be crucial in my walk with the Lord - a Sabbath. I hope to open your eyes to some ideas you hadn't thought of and maybe the lyrics of my song are relevant to you today.

Anyway, all this talk of chili dogs has me salivating so I guess I'll sign off and look forward to seeing you Saturday at 11:30am for some fun competition and then Sunday at worship- that is if nothing else is calling your name!

In His Grip,

Jeff

No comments: