Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Hoover The Red-Nosed Westie

Okay, okay before I get too much flack for dressing our 1 year old in a reindeer costume let me confess something - Cindy did it! I'm sorry honey but I don't want to take the rap for this one.

So how nonspiritual to write about your dogs - I'm getting to it, just be patient.

We picked up Hoover's little sister on Saturday - she will be known as Kirby. She's a bit past 10 weeks and already the boss of the household. In watching her and Hoover together I came to some conclusions about life.

#1- we all need to set priorities. Our breeder (Carol Schedler) did such a good job in the early development of this puppy that we can either go with the program and have it easy or fight it and have a mess. So we are on Kirby's schedule right now. Up at 5:30 with mom, plays, outside to do her business, back inside eats breakfast, plays some more, outside and then back to bed about 8am and she sleeps til almost noon. I won't bore you with all the rest of the days activities but I'm reminded that first things have to come first. A devotion I got today said this:
"Speaking to the recent Alabama Baptist Convention gathering, Richard Blackaby insisted the most important thing any leader can do is to go deeper in his or her walk with God.“If spiritual leadership is about taking your church into a more intimate walk with God, you cannot give what you do not have,” Blackaby said. “You can talk about it, you can point in that direction, but you can’t take them there unless you’ve been there yourself.”

I'm going to work harder at this.

#2- life is a tug of war. Sometimes you seem to win, other times someone else - the good news is we all win in the end (that is if you've trusted Christ). I plan on holding on and not letting go.

#3- playtime is fun and good for you. Seeing the puppies run and bounce on the front yard makes me laugh out loud. We all need to run and bounce more!

#4- you have to stand up for yourself. Hoover has put Kirby in her place several times. But that doesn't stop her from trying to get one over on him. That's a lot like the enemy - if you give in - give him a foothold - you will play heck shaking him off of you later.

I'm sure there are many more lessons to come. I'm just too exhausted to think of any more - maybe I'll just curl up on the couch with the westies and take a nap too!

Til next time I'm in His Grip,

Jeff

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great pics - good to see the church growing - blessing others. Keep up the good work and have a great Christmas!
Pastor Ken