Monday, January 28, 2008

Gobblygook

I've been watching the president's state of the union address. While talking about trade agreements he made mention of the "purveyors of false populism in our hemisphere." What in the world did that mean?

I'm not totally ignorant, even though I am an ignoramus, but that phrase baffled me. I know I could look up each of the words, put them together and make some sense out of his statement. But gaining the understanding of that phrase isn't what I wanted to write about.

It got me thinking just how we as Christians have the tendency of using words and phrases that the unchurched probably say, "what in the world did that mean?" While teaching Grove 101 this weekend I was aware of the many things we talk about and take for granted that everyone else talks the same way. I hope to get more real in the future and not assume anybody knows all the Christianese that I have picked up over the years.

I would challenge you to also look at your conversations with seekers (assuming you are having them) and make sure you are not talking over their heads.

I just finished placing the order for our invitations for our Big Day" on February 10th and I think they are slick. I think they are attractive enough that you will want to send a bunch out to family and friends. I hope you're compiling a list of those you want to invite - this could be the biggest Sunday in our young history.

I also hope you are excited to hear Dave Wible this Sunday share about Voice of the Martyrs. You can prepare yourself by looking at their website at www.persecution.com.

Please pray for Cindy and I as we go to Founders Week at Moody Bible Institute Friday night. We are looking forward to a few days away and sitting under the teaching of some great speakers.

Finally, if anyone knows what "purveyors of false populism in our hemisphere" means - keep it to yourself - it's over my head!

In His Grip,

Jeff

1 comment:

Media Tiger 316 said...

hi,

i have enjoy reading your blogs; i have found them to be insightful and entertaining, well worth every second i spend reading them. i have gotten a little behind on them, but i plan to catch up soon. i was wondering something tho'; is there any way for us as readers to view the pictures from previous posts, and not just the most recent ones; i think i missed a few and would like to see them as i read the blogs they belong to, if that is possible. in any case i look forward to reading more of your blogs, whether they have been posted or not. Jamey C.