Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Update From Exponential 08

Hello again!

It's been an exhausting day. Our first workshop began at 8am and we went til 5:20pm. So much to process and consider as it applies to The Grove.

It has been good on several fronts to realize that we are doing some great things already!

At the same time there are things we could be doing we are not.

I need to make sure the clear vision that God has given to me for His church is stated clearly in our vision - so expect some further writing about that. The prevailing theme throughout this conference has been the development of disciples and leaders. I have been challenged by Randy Popes definition of "Life on Life Missional Discipleship". He has 40 years of discipling men in small groups and if he ever had to choose between pastoring his church of 3,500 or raising up leaders in a small group and he wouldn't take 20 seconds to choose the small group.

In order for The Grove to fulfill it's mission of planting new churches in N/E Ohio we must raise up more leaders and more artists.

A lot of conversation has taken place over a church's DNA. At the same time I've been reading a book on the subject and am curious what others think is unique about us. What sets The Grove apart form any other church.? I don't mean better or superior, just what makes us unique?

Alan Hirsh has challenged us to look at 4 areas that we need to recover in order to get back to our "ethos" - or our characteristic spirit of our church culture.

Here are two of them (I hope you find it as interesting as I):

We must recover the absolute centrality of Jesus of His own movement. (meaning the Christian church movement)

We must recover discipleship as the core task of the church.

I especially enjoyed seeing an old friend, Steve Andrews from Kensington Community Church in Troy Michigan. I'll write more tomorrow about his thoughts and any additional insights I get in the final sessions tomorrow.

Please continue to pray for Lenie, Dave and I that we will capture all we need to in order to come home inspired and motivated to take the next step in church planting.

In His Grip,

Jeff

No comments: