Thursday, February 19, 2009

Lessons From a Whirlyball Game

The men at The Grove took another trip to play whirlyball this week. We try to do so 3-4 times a year. What is whirlyball? It's a combination of bumper cars, basketball and whiffle ball hi-ly. There are 5 members on each team - red and yellow. You race back and forth passing the ball among your team members and shooting at a backboard with a hole in it - 2 pts for hitting the backboard and 4 if you get it in the hole.

Besides a great time of fun where men are allowed to be kids again and let their competitive juices flow - there are some lessons learned.

#1- Just when you think you are rolling along through life smoothly, something can rear end you!

#2- Those that judge you don't always have a clear picture of what's going on. ("I call them as I see them!")

#2a- What are we showing to others who are watching us so close?

#3- When my mother told me to keep my hands to myself, she had no idea I would need to disregard her rule when I got older and had to compete against a couple of Grovers! (You know who you are!)

#4- When you have a clear shot at something and you think you've got it in your grasp, someone or something can run it over and stall your whole plan.

#5- There will always be cherry pickers in life.

#6- Christian men can have fun and it still be legal and moral.

#7- "How good and pleasant it is when brothers live together in unity!" Psalm 133:1

I hope you can join us next time!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Whirlyball.... I think it has become the men at the Grove's favorite pastime! (next to pie that is!)
I can learn a lot from you in making and taking time out to play. Seems I've forgotten how to do that these days! Thanks for the reminder!