Thursday, July 17, 2008

Think Smart

I think, no I know God is speaking to me today!

Actually he speaks to me everyday - but I don't always listen.

Two of my favorite emails I subscribe to reminded me of how to stay mentally vibrant in ministry and the second dealt with self-control. As I read them I realized how connected the two are. I think the comments in the first article are good for anyone whether in ministry or not. Read what he suggested that comes from Reggie McNeal's book entitled Practicing Greatness:

• Adequate sleep (a sleep-hungry brain is subject to fuzzy thinking and poor judgment)

• Proper Diet (especially a good amount of protein)

• Moderate your use of alcohol, caffeine, nicotine (don’t use these to ‘medicate your anxiety’

• Adequate exercise (helps physically, but also mentally)

• Daily doses of positive human contact (leaders who are connected are keeping their brains ‘wired’)

• Mental recreation (It helps from making your thoughts dull and tired)

• Muse time (time to ponder, noodle, reflect)

OK, this is where self-control comes in. Rick Ezell from One Minute Uplift states: "
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow wrote: "Great is the art of beginning, but greater the art is of ending."

Somewhere past the starting point a problem exists. Wouldn't it be nice to have a genie who could help us finish what we start? Or, an angel that would protect us from falling into the snares of the evil one? Or, a guide that would direct us on the straight and narrow path of godly upright behavior? Unfortunately, we don't have those available to us. But we do possess the inner dynamic of self-control, which is a needed and essential virtue for effective living.

Self-control is one of the best friends you and I can have. It will enable us to become the persons we want to be and to perform the activities we want to do. We need to cherish this friend always. It is a real life saver.

Yet self-control extracts a high price. Following one of the famed Polish concert pianists, Ignance Paderewski, outstanding performances, a fan said to him, "I'd give my life to play like that." The brilliant pianist replied, "I did." On another occasion Paderewski was asked by a fellow pianist if he could be ready to play a recital on short notice. The famous musician replied, "I am always ready. I have practiced eight hours daily for forty years." The other pianist said, "I wish I had been born with such determination." Paderewski replied, "We are all born with it. I just used mine."

I am not saying that we could become concert pianists just by exercising enough self-control. But, when it comes to effective living each we have the makings of triumph, if we will apply our wills and come under God's control and pay the price.

Self-control has your best interest at heart. People exercising self-control are happier and healthier because they are fulfilling their inner potential. It is one of the best friends anyone could have.

So, where are you in your self-control? Join me in this quest!

No comments: